Thursday, September 9, 2010

Are You in a "Puff Rutt"??

Hey Princesses,
Did you do your big chop, or slow transition, and discover the beautiful "Puff"? A puff, for any transitioners, or interested relaxed women, is basically where you pull your hair back with a band, and just let it do what it do. Puffs are super easy, fun, and out of the way. They can be worn conservatively, or wild. Here is my favorite puff shot:






Here is the thing, puffing is so easy, that at times, we just go with this look, not exploring the other fabulous styles we can achieve. Contrary to popular belief, naturals have options!! Constantly wearing our hair up, tightly, can cause breakage on our edges. I am proof of this. My edges began to break off after puffing for too long! I noticed it when friends would "tag" me in pictures on Facebook, that I had NOT approved! :) And to my surprise, and horror, there was mad breakage on my edges, all zoomed in! Eww!! So, for this entry, I wanted to explore a basic style that can give you an alternative to the tight puff!

Braid Out
A braid out is when you braid your hair, (Wet or dry), and many hours later, unbraid it to get a really cute crinkly, or wavy affect. It is a really easy style to do, that can last for days. I like to do my braid outs on wet hair. I normally co-wash my hair, and apply an olive oil, Shea butter mixture to it. Next, I braid my hair into about 16 braids. (Bigger braids will give you more wavy hair, smaller, more crinkly). After that, I will either just let it dry overnight (With a satin scarf on), or sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes, to speed up the drying. In the morning, I VERY carefully unbraid the hair. I put some type of light oil on my hands first, in an attempt to not frazzle and frizzle my hair while unbraiding. (Ok, so I don't know if "Frizzle" is a word, but hey, we are natural princesses, we can make up words!). After unbraiding, I slightly separate the sections. This look can last for a good three days! Here is a pic of one of my braid outs!


Make sure to sleep with a satin bonnet, scarf, or something on your head to preserve this style for as long as you can. Each morning, you may want to put your favorite shine product on to give it some life for the day. If you try this look, comment here, and let us know how it worked!! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment